Al Qaeda terrorists planning to target PM Modi, wanted in string of bomb attacks held in Tamil Nadu
02 Dicembre, 2016, 13:00
Chennai: National Investigating Agency arrested the 23-year old techie, Dawood Suleiman, along with three others in Madurai on Monday, who had planned to wage "jihad" against the country.
Three al-Qaeda operatives arrested from South India were allegedly planning to kill 22 top leaders, including the countries Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
They were allegedly involved in threatening embassies of various countries in India, police said.
Temple town Madurai is around 420 km from here.
The NIA says that all the five persons arrested hailed from Madurai and were known to each other for long. "In the Mysuru court blast, the suspects used an improvised explosive device in a pressure cooker in which forensics found traces of potassium chlorate and gunpowder", an officer said.
Appearing for the NIA, public prosecutor Arjun told the court that the 4 had indulged in 5 bomb blast cases reported in court complexes in Chittoor, Kollam and Malappuram in Kerala, Mysuru and Nellore in 2006. He also said that the operation to nab the trio was carried out with the assistance of the local police. The occupations of those arrested were identified to be a painter, a librarian, and one that runs a chicken shop.
Early last month, the NIA had arrested seven people across South India.
They produced the arrested suspects, who called themselves "The Base Movement of al-Qaida", in an NIA court in Bengaluru. The men, the NIA alleges, were members of an Islamic State cell that were operating under the command of Muhammad Shafi Armar, the head of a group of Indian jihadists based out of Raqqa in Syria.