Venerdì, 20 Ottobre, 2017

Yemen needs more than brief truce to help needy — United Nations official

Rufina Vignone | 20 Ottobre, 2016, 12:39

The United Nations has announced a new ceasefire in war-ravaged Yemen from early Thursday (Oct 20), after a week of escalated fighting sparked new worldwide calls to end the conflict.

UN Special Envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed announced that he'd received assurances from all groups fighting in Yemen agreed to the cease-fire, which will give residents there a break and allow humanitarian aid to reach areas it is needed.

With the help of allies, Houthis now control the country's capital, Sana'a as well as large swaths of territory in the North, while forces loyal to former President Abd Rabbbuh Mansur Hadi control most of the South.

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

The probe said a coalition aircraft "wrongly targeted" the funeral based on "incorrect information".

The announcement comes after Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi agreed to the ceasefire in a statement earlier on Monday, a day after global calls for a truce.

On Sunday, US Secretary of State John Kerry met in London with his counterparts from Britain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates along with the UN envoy to discuss Yemen.

The Arab coalition has carried out hundreds of air strikes and provided ground troops to support Hadi's forces.

Despite years of funding the Saudi regime, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said, "We can not emphasize enough today the urgency of ending the violence in Yemen".

After talks collapsed in August, fighting escalated until an October 8 coalition air strike which the United Nations said killed more than 140 people and wounded at least 525 at a funeral in Sanaa.

Soon after the failed missile attack, the destroyer USS Nitze launched an attack on Iran-backed Houthi rebels with cruise missiles.

The Houthi rebels, who have been active in Yemen for over a decade are a fundamentalist Shia-led movement that took root in the country's capital in 2015, following years of conflict after a failed political transition in 2011.

Joseph Votel, commander of US forces in the Middle East, said on Wednesday that he believes Iran was behind missile strikes on US Navy ships fired from Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen.

Adel al-Jubeir, the Saudi foreign minister, said on Monday that the kingdom was prepared to accept a ceasefire if the Houthis agreed to one, but that he was sceptical about peace efforts. As well as the Hajja fighting, rebel tanks and other reinforcements in the northern Saada province were bombed in coalition air strikes overnight, a military source said.

Altre Notizie