Venerdì, 21 Ottobre, 2016

UN chief calls for accountability over 'appalling' Yemen war

The attempted strike on the USS Mason which was first reported by Reuters came just a week after a United Arab Emirates vessel came under attack from Houthis Missiles fired from Yemen fall short of US warship: Navy
Rufina Vignone | 19 Ottobre, 2016, 22:44

The Houthi-controlled Saba news agency meanwhile quoted an unnamed military source denying that the army or rebels had fired on any ships off the Yemeni coast, after the USA said one of its naval vessels had detected two inbound missiles on Sunday night.

The destroyer had been "conducting routine operations in global waters" at the time.

The Houthis have fired a series of ballistic missiles in the Kingdom since a Saudi-led coalition of Arab countries has launched an offensive against them in Yemen in March 2015.

USS Mason is an Arleigh Burke class of guided missile destroyer whose home port is Norfolk, Virginia.

Rebel forces "did not target any warships", said a spokesman quoted by the insurgents' website.

"This seizure is the latest in a string of illicit weapons shipments assessed by the have originated in Iran that were seized in the region by naval forces", the Pentagon said in a statement at the time.

A missile was also reportedly fired at the Yemeni government-controlled city of Marib in central Yemen. The crew detected two inbound missiles launched within 60 minutes of each other, but both of them impacted the water before reaching the vessel.

The Mason was patrolling the same area where the Houthis fired on a vessel from the United Arab Emirates last week.

Yemen's Houthis on Monday denied that they - or their allies - had targeted any USA naval vessels after media reports emerged suggesting that the Shia militia had opened fire on a US warship deployed in the Red Sea.

In its statement on Monday, the USA navy said the United States remains "committed to ensuring freedom of navigation everywhere in the world".

While both the USA and Britain sell arms to Saudi Arabia, give it military advice, and provide diplomatic support for its intervention in Yemen, the United States has been more outspoken in criticising Riyadh over civilian casualties.

Three commanders of the elite republican guard brigades, loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh who is allied with Shiite Huthi rebels, were said to be among those killed.

"Not only Saudi Arabia, but also those who have supported the Saudi-led coalition's aggression against the people of Yemen are held accountable for the war crimes in Yemen over the past year and a half", he said.

The Houthis swept into Sanaa in September 2014 and advanced across much of Yemen, forcing Mr Hadi's government to flee to Aden.

Altre Notizie