Sabato, 17 Marzo, 2018

Attack at Yemen Recruitment Center Kills Dozens, Official Says

Rufina Vignone | 30 Agosto, 2016, 04:24

Yemeni tribesmen from the Popular Resistance Committees, supporting forces loyal to Yemen's Saudi-backed President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, hold a position in the area of Sirwa.

"Security services are still evacuating the dead and wounded", an official said.

"It's been a shaky morning", Hassan Boucenine, who leads the Yemen branch of Doctors Without Borders, said after witnessing the attack.

Yemen's army, supported by a Saudi Arabia-led coalition, is training young recruits to join its nationwide war against Shiite Houthi rebels and their allies, as well as Sunni militants. The Islamic State terror group has taken responsibility for the attack.

In another major attack back in May, a suicide bomber killed 40 army recruits and injured 60 others at another compound in Aden.

Last month, the governor of the southern Yemeni city of Aden survived a vehicle bomb attack targeting his convoy, the latest attempt on the city's top official. The ISIS has also seized such opportunities with several suicide bombings and attacks.

This month alone, airstrikes carried out by the Saudi-led coalition on two schools killed 14 children.

The attack which targeted newly recruited soldiers has been claimed by the Islamic State which has also been causing havoc in the Southern regions.

The Saudi-led coalition intervened in Yemen in March previous year and has helped government forces push the rebels out of Aden and four other southern provinces since July 2015.

Since the fighting intensified in March 2015, missile and rocket attacks across Yemen's border with Saudi Arabia, which is leading a US -backed coalition against the Houthis, have been common.

On Sunday, Yemen's exiled government said it would give an "initial welcoming" to more peace talks with the rebels with a view to forming a unity government.

Altre Notizie